Tuesday, August 16, 2011

2001 World Series (of Baseball)

It's unfortunate that there isn't an easier way to rewatch game-parts that are longer than highlights but shorter than whole games. Recently I found the bottom of the 9th of the 2001 World Series on YouTube. Who knows how long it will be until it's taken down for copyright reasons.

For any baseball fan with a mediocre memory, it's bound to be a pleasant sequence of "Oh, yeah! It was ___ who/that ___!" (Mark Grace / led off the inning; Scott Brosius / was playing third base; and many more.) And Mariano Rivera's walk off the field is by far the most emotional thing I've ever seen him do. I would not have guessed that the whole thing is less than twelve minutes long.

1 comment:

  1. The under-12 minutes thing is definitely surprising to my memory, although with only 6 batters and no pitching changes, it does makes sense. Makes me wonder how long some other famous half innings (bottom of the 10th, Game 6 1986 WS, including a pitching change; bottom of the 9th, game 4 ALCS 2004, no pitching change; etc.) Both of those examples seemed in my mind like they went on forever.

    In my head, I see an exhausted Rivera after top of 12th innning of Game 7 2003 ALCS, pretty emotional look on his face. But without the video, we're obviously relying on my proven faulty memory vs. the tape of 2001.

    m

    ReplyDelete